ReadWell

ReadWell

Monday, August 3, 2009

Thing 15

Wow, Schultz's trip to Library 4.0 is pretty daunting. Even though I may struggle with technology, I understand its significance and inevitability. But this analogy comes to mind. How many teachers have gone to an inservice about some great innovation, learned the basics of it, gotten excited about it, then returned to campus to find that there was never really any intention of purchasing that innovation...?

This is the way I feel with regard to my kids. Their poverty restricts their access to the net. Most do not have computers and their access at school is extremely limited, and not designed for innovative web learning. My little ones come to school truly in need of Storytime as they begin the journey to learn to read. How do you balance such need for the basics with the rocketing demands of today and tomorrow?

I do agree with Rick Anderson's comments about the collection. I have allowed our reference section to become progressively dated, thanks to our state-funded databases. As our budgets shrink, this allows us to use what funding we get in the broadest, most effective manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment