ReadWell

ReadWell

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Things 4 and 5

Well, I'm a player now...in a good way.
I worried about whether my email from Yahoo would make it into a school district account. Ours blocks my emails which is a real bummer.

Flickr is pretty cool. I can definitely see using some of the pictures to bring all sorts of references to life for my students. My school population is "economically challenged" and the kids don't travel. The photos can show them where stories take place, show them things (that's right, ground hogs are real, not just pictures drawn in books about Ground Hogs Day). Sure, I could already do that, but a photo site like this can result in much more interesting results than an on-line reference book. I may take part in some of the library sponsored activities. I'll have to put some thought into how to design one for our school.

The one thing that really bothered me is the spelling problem with tags. One of the articles mentioned the problem just a reversal of letter could create in a tag. But looking at a tag page in Flickr, I saw at least 4 misspellings in a cluster of about 6 or 7. Is this the result of texting sloppiness or just a general lack of spelling abilities?

No comments:

Post a Comment